http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=26357735 Template This Is bc: Hummus Saga: Part 1

This Is bc

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Hummus Saga: Part 1


When a blog doesn't have any readership, it will sooner or later (most times sooner) will fall by the wayside. Obviously this one has been laying in a ditch for some time. Occasionally, some event will occur and a lax blogger will be moved to post despite their most recent blogging negligence. Maybe a homeless person was mean to them or they just moved to seattle and want to post a bunch of pictures. For me this happens when a supermarket starts to carry my favorite brand of a particular food.

Yes, Shaw's supermarkets have now started to carry Sabra hummus. This is my favorite packaged hummus. Obviously any homemade (i.e. my mother's, heavy on the garlic and lemon) or in-store produced hummus if far better than any packaged kind, but who's going to make hummus every week?

It looks like the Shaw's distribution of Sabra is pretty widespread too. A couple of weeks ago I saw and purchased a container from the new one in Waltham on Lexington Street. I thought this was a fluke because there was only one kind of hummus available and this is also the second most cosmopolitan Shaw's I have been to. But a couple of days ago I saw an entire spread of Sabra hummus at my home Shaw's in Medford, which is in far less hip (food) area.

I was so happy with this development that I sent an e-mail to Shaw's. I hope they get back to me. If they do I'll be sure to post it.

I wanted to write to thank you for starting to carry Sabra Hummus. While the Sabra brand might not be as popular as Tribe of Two Sheiks, Cedar's or Joseph's, it is by far the best packaged hummus on the market. Before Sabra hummus was available in your supermarkets, I would have to drive to Brookline to procure decent hummus (after a call to the Sabra distributor I learned that the Butchurie was the only store in the Boston area that carried Sabra). Thank you for bringing the best product to an uneducated hummus eating public. I encourage you to carry other Sabra products like their baba ganoush in your stores as well. I hope the person or persons responsible for making this decision gets the praise they deserve.

P.S. I also encourage you to lower your price on the 10oz package of Sabra hummus to make it more likely to compete directly with the other brands you carry. The $3.99 price tag it carries is a remarkable markup considering at other stores I have purchased the 10oz. container for $2.99 and the 23oz container for $4.99.

4 Comments:

Blogger Aaron D said...

I too encountered this amazing phenomenon. I had ran to the Shaws in Scarborough, ME to pick up a few random things and I decided to peruse the hummus selection, and to my surprise, there was Sabra. I figured that if they sell it there, it must be widespread. Hummus eaters throughout the northeast can rejoice!

June 08, 2007 10:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i think i might love you more now than i did prior to reading this post.

June 08, 2007 12:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

p.s. this is your sister

June 08, 2007 12:37 PM  
Blogger Aaron D said...

ha, I'm glad there was emily clarification on that. At first I thought it was the other emily and if a blog post about hummus made her love Brian more I'd question the motivation for marriage.

June 11, 2007 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home